Friday, December 30, 2011

THE SURVEY!

It's the end of the year, gentle reader, and time for another navel-gazing episode of "CAN YOU BELIEVE IT!"

Ha, well no, it's just the entry where I try to summarize my previous year's activity in a simple survey I gleaned from another website long ago and now that I'm in the habit, I kindof dig the ritual. So, here we go, eh?




1. What did you do in 2011 that you’d never done before?
Moved to Virginia. That should count for like at least eight new things, right?



2. What about the New Year's Resolutions? How'd that work out?



I do not. Make. Resolutions.





Listed goals for last year, however were as follows:



A) New tires for the car. Thanks to help from my folks, that's finally going to happen, like next month! YAY!



B) Finish the "dead zone" in the back yard with a grape trellis for the grapes. Yup, we finished this, a full two weeks before we moved. And in the interest of full disclosure, our neighbor and new renters finished the landscaping there. Universe 1, Team KJ 1.



C) Prune/Tame the honeysuckle. DONE! YAY!



D) This one was all about growing a pair and getting ready to relocate if the beloved husband found a job someplace exotic. Turns out he did, and we did relocate, and I was barely prepared for it and I'm still totally upended by the whole experience, but LO! I survived! and at the end of the day, it's working out pretty great. So that gets a YAY too. On account of how worked up I was. YAY!





Things I anticipate in the new year, but which I do not consider to be goals, include:



Hmm



A) ISBN for the book-a-roo. It's time. Let's start selling this stuff and see where it takes us. It's already well beyond my original expectations so this is alllll frosting.



B) I need a job. Dear GODS I need to get out of this apartment and get some kind of gainful employ again. Sheesh.



C) I want to keep writing. The universe makes sense when my fingers are flying across the keyboard. The whole world makes sense. Probably not another book, but maybe the outline for one? Hmmm.



D) I'd like to spend one December totally unencumbered by sickness. Seems I got sick last year too.




3. Did anyone close to you give birth?

Holy cow, yes! So many babies born this year! Many more anticipated next year! 2011 was a year for miracles, and you know I don't like saying stuff like that. Torvald, Kenzie, Leon, CJ and too many more to name here... welcome to earth little ones. You are in such good hands.




4. Did anyone close to you die?

um... I'm trying to think now... no. I'm glad to say that I haven't lost anyone in my immediate grasp. However, a lot of great talent was lost this year, and there were a few too many very dangerous accidents that came about, so it's not like it's been far from my thoughts.




5. What countries did you visit?



Sadly, only two foreign locations were visited by me, this year. Exotic though they were/are, they're still wholly American. I went to Tennessee for the first time ever, and now I live in Virginia - which when compared to Colorado is like a foreign country some times except there's no language barrier.





6. What would you like to have in 2012 that you lacked in 2011?
Mostly, I'm going to have to call on the JOB card there. I've been a housewife long enough, and I suck at it. So if I can't be good at this, I better get paid for being good at something else.




7. What dates from 2011 will remain etched upon your memory, and why?
Tough question. I'll remember the days we drove from Colorado to Virginia. I'll remember the apartment when I first walked into it and the chirruping burbles that came from kittehpants as we released her from her crate into the wide open space of our new abode. I'll remember how, after a few cheerful steps around the fresh carpet, she came bounding back and planted a solid buffle on the LEASING AGENT and loved her up like she was made of catnip.



I don't know the date, but I hope I'll always remember the night my husband and I spent playing Settlers of Catan with our beloved neighbors in Colorado.



There's so much I remember, and so much I don't want to forget. And so much that I want to go back to. Someday.



8. What was your biggest achievement of the year?




Moving to Virginia! That took.... it took a lot out of me. Much more than I was prepared for or have ever admitted. It's getting better though.

9. What was your biggest failure?



It's really silly, but I do feel like a failure on some level for my utter inability to maintain a tidy apartment. I mean, look at this place! HONESTLY!



10. Did you suffer illness or injury?
Sick in December. Lather rinse repeat. Other than that... I think we came out clean. Right?




11. What was the best thing you bought?



Heh, can I cheat and say "renters insurance"? No? Um... okay, well then the day I went shopping at the thrift store with my supergal friend out here in the DC area... and I came home with a whole new wardrobe AND a new kickass leather coat and spent a sassy $50 for the lot... that was pretty awesome.

12. Where did most of your money go?
Oh let's see... there's the MORTGAGE, yeah, that's a biggie, and then hmmm, RENT, that's a new one, and oh yes, MOVING alone was a hammer to our economic kidneys, well... let's just leave it there, shall we?



13. What did you get really excited about?
It seems stupid to say so, but I got really excited (and equally terrified) about the move. Also, I'm so excited about the babies born this year. They were all REALLY important arrivals, every last one, and I'm so proud of all those new (and repeat) moms and dads out there.




14. What song will always remind you of 2011?
Awolnation: You can Jump On My Shoulders



Good travel music. And then the cat. Lo. For she did jump upon the shoulders while we drove. Oh, so dangerous.




15. Compared to this time last year, are you:

– happier or sadder? lonlier. No way around that.



– thinner or fatter? NOT fatter! YAY! not exactly skinnier, but let's say "HEALTHIER" and leave it there.
– richer or poorer? Richer, both financially and existentially. Yeah, I like last year's answer. I'mma roll with that again this year.





16. What do you wish you’d done more of?

Laughing.





17. What do you wish you’d done less of?




Oversleeping



18. How did you spend Christmas?
With family in Wisconsin, eating delicious sausages and cheeses, and then eating yummy monkeybread in the morning, and then playing settlers of Catan! YAY!




19. What was your favorite TV program?
I'm going to cheat and say I didn't have one this year. Nothing really stood out. BUT we did find a guilty pleasure in Storage Wars, and Ghost Hunters is still impossibly fascinating even though I already KNOW how every episode will pretty much turn out (to the point where I usually fall asleep at one point or another during the show).




20. What were your favorite books of the year?
Neil Gaimann: Neverwhere and American Gods




21. What was your favorite music from this year?

Awolnation, Muse, and as a surprising throwback Paul Simon's Graceland and Rhythm of the Saints have absolutely come right back to life again.




22. What were your favorite films of the year?



Rare Exports. Best Christmas Movie Ever. Hands Down. EVARRRR!

23. What did you do on your birthday, and how old were you?
I'm proud to say that I am yet one year older this year, than I was last year. My age still suits me right down to the ground and I'm pleased as ever about it.



What did I do on my birthday?



Well, my blog says I was sick (hmmm, every six months? LAME) but that my beloved husband and I had a delicious steak dinner at the Ted's Montana Grill near our house in Colorado. I do remember that - and WOW that was tasty.

24. What one thing would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying?



You know, this is a hard one this year because I fully expect myself to start typing "NOT MOVE TO VIRGINIA" but it would be totally false to do so. I'm glad we moved. It's been hard, but what in life isn't? It hasn't been THAT hard, after all, and the new digs are pretty cool.



When it comes to 2011 being immeasurably more satisfying, I think I'd just list how I always feel kinda' down these days, and this depression business is a pain in the nuts and I'd really just like to be all light and fluffy again. Not like I really ever WAS, but frankly getting a job will go a long way toward sorting that all out again. So honestly... I'm just left with a fuzzy grey area... "myeh" is what I'm left with as an answer to this question. and that's where I'll leave it.





25. How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2011?
"SUPERGAL! DRESS ME!"



and lo - it worked.




26. What kept you sane?



Lots of quiet time with the main squeeze, my beloved husband. Every time I get near the raggeddy edge, he pulls me back around. So I feed him.





27. A valuable life lesson learned in 2011.




I'm not even kidding you on this one: but the best thing I learned this year was how insanely useful it is to have the laundry on the same floor as the bedroom. OMG, people, just... OMG.





Also, distance matters. But not as much as I'm always afraid it will.



1 comment:

Unknown said...

p.s. What the hell, formatting?